Sunday, October 4, 2009

Heaven and Hell Research: Hell





























These are my "Hell" Images.
















I know that the cartoon image is a little silly and maybe not exactly what is supposed to be on here but I thought it summed up what I was thinking about my vision of hell. Anxiety, and sleeplessness...insomnia...etc. I think the artist intends to get across the point of how the mind can go into overdrive with random thoughts when it is time to wind down and go to sleep.

The second image, I think the most obvious thing the artist does is uses up all of the space. By including a person, this artist references the mind's activity and the use of color overwhelms the viewer. Before I even read the caption on the image that says "The Age of Anxiety" I was attracted to the image as representational of anxiety because of the crowded composition and color.

The final image, the artist takes a different approach to anxiety. The multiple image of the figure creates a stand in for the subject. I think of the "I'm coming out of my skin" feeling, or the way that when I am really anxious and think i will never get things done, I freeze and just kind of "check out." The use of darker colors creates a somber mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment